Monday, February 9, 2009

Greene and Greene

I googled Greene and Greene and founf a great website with all there work and images archived (http://www.usc.edu/dept/architecture/greeneandgreene/index.html). Then I read about the brothers named Charles Sumner and Henry Mather Greene who are infamous in the architectural and furniture design world. The site has a ton of information about how they became so famous. Their work was inspired by the English Arts and Crafts Movement and they contributed greatly to the American Arts and Crafts Movement in the early part of the 20th century. Most of the houses they designed were commissioned by private owners in California. Some of their more famous houses are The Gamble, Thorsen, and Blacker houses in Pasadena California.
As I continued my search I found a list of all of their work in the same archive. I clicked on the Miss Annie Blacker House link and found a brief explanation of Annie Black and the house. All I could find were pictures of the blue prints and plans. Since I was more interested in finding picture of their furniture than blue prints I went back and googled greene and greene furniture. Unfortunately I was only able to find recreations. But I was able to find out that the Los Angeles County Museum has about a dozen pieces of G&G furniture so I went to their website. I found the furniture in the decorative arts and design collection. I particularly liked this table from the Blacker house . It was made in 1907 of teak and ebony. All of the furniture seems pretty simple on the outside but I'm sure that none of it was easy to make. I like the natural quality to it. It doesn't look all that fancy but it is made of two exotic woods. It looks like it would be used as a desk or sewing table.
I also found a very famous light fixture done by the brothers for the same house. This piece of furniture looks much more complex than the table. It's made of Honduras mahogany, ebony, leaded glass, and leather. It's a light box that hangs from a ceiling plate. Quite gorgeous. I can see it in a house hanging over a kitchen table. the only downfall to this fixture is the chord that comes from the ceiling plate to the light box. I love the details of ebony and leather. Im glad I was able to find some stuff I liked.

Catherine

2 comments:

Squerl said...

I love the desk. It is so slender and sleek looking. I bet making a strong smooth top surface for a desk like that is a challenge. There are many Craftsman era lighting fixtures that I admire but some become too heavy looking for my taste-those of the Praire variety, as well as the one you posted tend toward that heaviness because it mirrors the architecture which emulates the on site, environmental landscape. They are a good idea taken to the nth degree, like large hulking slabs of rock and earth piled on top of each other. But that is just my opinion. I am happy that we all like somthing different or it would be a boring world. Nice blog. Squerl

scoobycat687 said...

Its funny that you say it looks heavy because i never focused on that part of it. Im not sure why... I guess it just doesn't bother me. I just really like the detail that was put into it.